What should I do if Ive been involved in an accident with an automobile?
There are some basic things to do if youve been a victim of an accident:
- Before anything else, seek medical attention. There could be serious injuries (like head injuries) that may not be visible or may not cause symptoms right away.
- Call the police and have them complete a report.
- Take pictures of the scene, the vehicle(s) involved and any injuries, especially those you may have sustained.
- Retrieve the personal information and statements from any eyewitnesses. These first-hand witnesses can be invaluable for scene recreation later and/or to testify on your behalf.
- Exchange information with the driver involved.
- Do not accept any form of insurance settlement at the scene; insurance companies may be quick to offer a less than appropriate amount for compensation.
- The next step would be to contact a professional San Diego personal injury attorney, who can provide guidance and answer any questions you may have.